Skip to main content

You have been passed by Grandma


We were all ready to take the car to the track; our first outing in 2013, car all prepped, the Pyalla Command Center (our motor home) all filled with food and drinks, but then I found out that my son-in-law had a commitment and would not be home Saturday night.


The important part was that my Granddaughter, Ella, is about to arrive – there are still three weeks left to the doctor’s estimated due date, but baby is growing fast and by my own estimate could decide to arrive at any moment. I find it very strange that not only do we know that it is a girl, we know her name, and we know what she looks like!

Same time of year, some years ago, I was waiting for my child to arrive – she did, April 27, and only then did I find out she’s a girl! Technology has advanced … so, here is Ella, captured just a few months ago:

Yes, I have always been an overprotective mother, so why should I change now? It wasn’t even a choice; of course I stayed to keep an eye on my very pregnant daughter and to be ready to get her to the hospital should anything happen. After all, it was a weekend about driving fast, so I was prepared to drive fast if there was the need!
I have to admit that I was keeping my iPhone handy to check on Richard’s track progress – as I said, I have overprotective tendencies, and I asked that he text me after each session so that I would know he and the car were both intact. Turned out, they were just fine.
I missed being on the track, I missed the opportunity to drive fast and to learn more. I will keep it up, even if I am a Babcia now (that’s Grandmother in Polish; the other grandparents will be Grandma and Grandpa, I will be Babcia, as my Mother was before me).
OK, enough of this family excitement, I talk about Ella way too much! Back to the car stuff: I think we made the right decision retiring Frankenstein, our supercharged, blue, 2006 Corvette, and switching to use the proper track car, the Z06, even if it is a 2003 and simply red! The car is manual, so you know which gear you will be in when exiting the corner – what a refreshing change after having been upshifted and downshifted (behind your back) by the Frankenstein! It also feels way lighter and now that we put in a proper harness our behinds no longer slide all over the place and our knees are not ruining perfectly fine Bose speakers!
Richard went to Pikes Peak International Raceway (PPIR) this weekend while I was playing Babcia, and he came back all smiles! He loved the track, he loved the car, and the only thing that perhaps kept him from being fully over the moon was that the leadership of NASA suggested that I might make it to HPDE Group 3 before he does!
No, he is not competitive with me, says he, but somehow he did not manage to hide “the look” – but he did proceed to tell me that he is my biggest fan, provided I stop letting everyone pass me just so that they can enjoy their weekend! He asserted that with any future move to group 3 it would be my obligation to enjoy myself out on the track and in turn would be an encouragement to stop constantly looking into my mirrors to see if I should make someone else happy. There’s a fine line between staying focused on the track and watching everyone behind me – maybe I just need to prioritize just a tad. Hmmm!

As for right now, yes, I’m guilty as charged in this respect. I do let the boys pass me, but perhaps with the new license plate frame we plan to order it might be a little different for me next time on track. The frame will say, “You have just been passed by Grandma”!



Comments

Robert said…
Margo, congratulations on your upcoming babcia-hood. I suspect that will ultimately bring you more joy than any amount of driving.

Robert
Jangirl said…
Love that BLOG and the license plate...!!
Can't wait to hear about Ella too!!
Margo Holen said…
So they say....I hope so.... Thank you!
Margo Holen said…
New due date is Wednesday! Unless she decides to surprise us!

Popular posts from this blog

When life throws you a curve

It may seem a little odd to lead off with a photo of Margo behind the wheel of our originally configured Corvette C6 Z51, but given how this was the very first time that Margo turned a wheel on a road that only went in one direction and where there were no speed limits, to say it was a moment filled with anxieties would be an understatement as both she and I had no idea what to expect that very first time on track. It was Willow Springs International Raceway, branded as the Fastest Road in the West and that didn’t help at all. Surely, we knew how to go fast but being on track was a world of experience away from a daily drive. The photo depicts Margo heading up a serious upward elevation shift towards what the track labels as The Omega. A series of turns designed to challenge even the best of drivers. It was much later that an instructor told us that the goal was to get through these twists and turn safely as no race was ever won by passing any other driver in The Omega. And yet, there

We faced a lot in 2023, but it was the faces we remember most.

  Our appetite for travel went unabated. With October already a few days old, Margo and I begin our fifteenth year of working together for our company, Pyalla Technologies, LLC. Our client list continues to grow and for that we are most thankful. What we enjoy most though is the opportunity to spend time with our clients and even though the global pandemic remains fresh in our minds, having the opportunity to reconnect with friends and colleagues has been a reminder of just how much we missed the personal connection during those lost years. Travel may dominate our calendar but then again, it’s not all work, work, work. There are hours where we can escape the rigors of meetings to simply take in our surroundings. Ultimately though, when you pack your bags solely by sight – this item should be here and that item must be tucked in over there – then there is a brief moment where we muse to ourselves, is this normal for folks like us? Or, the light at the end of the tunnel is truly the li

All at sea … untethered and happy!

  Ritz Carlton Yacht Evrima; San Salvador Bahamas We are still far from port as we continue on our voyage through the Caribbean. Once again, for the Christmas holidays, we can be found island-hopping and today, we will shortly weigh anchor alongside San Salvador in the Bahamas. Long considered the exact landing spot where Christopher Columbus first set foot in the Americas, this island is just the tip of a very high ocean mountain.  We have journeyed far this year. Perhaps further than at any time in our married life. We have crossed the dateline and the equator. We have stood in Greenwich with longitude zero. Or 360 if you prefer. We have been moving our watches forward more times than we have at any time and our preferred mode of transportation has been ocean-going liners. There have been a number of airline hops but for the most part, we have simply been all at sea.  Seabourn Sojourn; Trinidad and Tobago This time last year we were doing a similar cruise through the islands of Easte